Credit for Courses Outside GU Economics Department
- Students who receive a score of 5 on the AP exam in Micro can place out of ECON-001. Students who receive a score of 5 on the AP exam in Macro can place out of ECON-002.
- AP math scores of 4 or 5 on the AB or BC calculus tests are accepted in place of MATH-035 (Calculus I).
To receive credit toward your economics major or minor for courses taken at another college or university, please provide the Undergraduate Coordinator with the following materials:
- A copy of the syllabus for the course, including the name of the university, the course number, and the name of the textbook.
- A transcript for the course.
- The appropriate GU Registrar forms.
X-Listed courses: Some courses from other GU departments can be applied as below 400-level electives towards an economics major or minor. Such cross-listed courses can be found as follows:
- Go to Schedule of classes (http://schedule.georgetown.edu)
- First box, Subject: Click inside and select all
- Last box, Attribute: click on X-List ECON
Other Potential Electives: Courses not already X-listed will be judged on a case-by-case basis. Email the Undergraduate Coordinator and provide the following:
- A copy of the syllabus for the course.
- The forms that you need signed for the GU Registrar.
In advance of taking a course:
- Submit the course syllabus to the Undergraduate Coordinator for review.
- Ensure syllabus includes:
- Textbook and readings
- Timeline and topics covered, and
- Information about exams or other assessment criteria
The Department cannot approve a course without reviewing a detailed syllabus. Submit the syllabus in English for ease of review. Course descriptions from a course catalog are not substitutes.
Most Economics courses taken abroad will be accepted as 200-level electives. Approval is more restrictive for core courses above the Principles level (Econ 101 – Intermediate Micro , Econ-102 – Intermediate Macro, Econ-121 – Economic Statistics, Econ 122- Intro to Econometrics) and 400-level electives.
Planning for your Study Abroad
Prior approval must be obtained from both the College Dean’s Office and the Economics Department.
Economics majors must take the six core courses (Econ 001, 002, 101, 102, 121 and 122) before their senior year. To make normal progress towards the economics major with a full year of study abroad in the Junior year, we suggest the following plan:
- First-year Fall: Econ 001 or 002*
* Alternatively, students can take Econ 003. This completes the core courses sooner, but it requires an additional economics elective.
- First-year Spring: Econ 001 or 002
- Sophomore-year Fall: Econ 101 or 102, Econ 121
- Sophomore-year Spring: Econ 101 or 102, Econ 122
Transfer Limits for Economics Majors and Minors
Students may apply a limited amount of courses taken aboard:
- For a single semester abroad, students can receive credit for up to two courses in the major or minor.
- For an entire year abroad, students can receive credit for up to three courses in the major or minor.