Minor in Economics
A minor in Economics at Georgetown University requires completion of six economics courses (including statistics) and a calculus course, for a total of seven (7) courses. Of the six economics courses, at least three must be taken in the Economics Department at Georgetown.
Course Categories & Prerequisites
Principles of Microeconomics and Macroeconomics (2 courses)
- ECON 001 (Principles of Microeconomics) and ECON 002 (Principles of Macroeconomics)
- Students may waive 001 or/and 002 and obtain the course credit with an AP score of 5 (or an IB score of 6 or 7 on higher level (HL) exam) in Microeconomics or/and Macroeconomics
- ECON 003 (Principles of Economics: Micro & Macro combined) may be taken instead of 001 and 002, but not by students who have taken both ECON 001 and 002, or received Advanced Placement (AP) credit for both of these courses. (Students who have taken only one of these courses, or received AP credit for it, may take ECON 003.) As of Fall 2022, this course earns 4 credits, and is more intensive and faster paced than 001 or 002. It is aimed at students who have had a year of high school economics and/or are comfortable with graphical analysis and high-school algebra.
- Students who take 003 instead of 001 and 002 will require an additional economics elective
Calculus (1 course)
- MATH 032 (Calculus with Review B) or 035 (Calculus I)
- or AP score of 5 (or IB score of 7 on HL exam)
- Calculus is a corollary requirement* for all 100-level economics courses
* This course may also count toward another major or minor requirement in addition to the Economics minor
Intermediate Microeconomics or Macroeconomics (1 course)
- ECON 101 (Intermediate Microeconomics) or ECON 102 (Intermediate Macroeconomics)
Statistics (1 course)
- ECON 121 (Economic Statistics) or any one of the following courses: MATH 140, MATH 040, GOVT 201, INAF 320, OPIM 173, or OPIM 172
- Students interested in taking ECON 122 (Econometrics) as an elective must take ECON 121 or MATH 140 as a pre-requisite
Economic Electives (2 courses)
- Two (2) economics electives
- Students who took ECON 003 (instead of 001 and 002) must take 3 economics electives
- The Department maintains a list of our course descriptions and their prerequisites.
Note: not all courses are offered each semester, check with the Georgetown Schedule for the current semester’s listing.
Notes for SFS Students
- At most two courses can be double-counted between the SFS Economics Core and the Economics Minor. i.e. Students who take ECON 001 and 002 (or fulfill either or both by AP or other credits) will double-count these with the Minor, and will not be able to double-count ECON 242/243/244
- Students who take ECON 003 will double-count this with the Minor, and additionally double-count one course among ECON 242/243/244
- No courses may double-count between a major and a minor
- Students who take one of the statistics courses above to fulfill a major requirement will be required to take another additional economics elective for the Minor