Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Mission Statement at the Department of Economics
The Department of Economics at Georgetown University is dedicated to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive environment that values and respects the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of all members of our community, including students, faculty, and staff. We strive to promote academic excellence in scholarship and teaching by embracing diversity as a key pillar of our department’s mission.
We actively seek to advance DEI in the following ways:
- Promoting continuous improvement in the department’s diversity, equity, and inclusion measures: We will regularly assess and evaluate the climate of our department in order to identify areas for improvement and take proactive steps to create a more inclusive environment. We will seek input from all members of our community and engage in ongoing dialogue to ensure that diverse voices are heard and valued.
- Teaching portfolio: We will update and monitor our portfolio of classes and their content across all our programs to achieve some of these objectives via our teaching.
- Recruiting and retaining diverse faculty, staff, and students: We will actively engage in recruitment and mentoring efforts to attract and retain individuals from underrepresented groups, and we will work to eliminate any bias and barriers in our hiring and promotion processes. Diversity among our faculty, staff, and students enhances the quality of our research, teaching, and learning.
- Opportunities for learning and development: We will make full use of external resources, such as those provided by the Office of Student Equity and Inclusion (OSEI), for the professional development of our faculty, staff, and students on topics related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will also create a supportive environment that encourages continual learning and growth, and where everyone feels empowered to contribute their unique perspectives.
- Collaboration and inclusivity in advancing research and scholarship: We will foster connections and collaborations within and outside of our community to broaden the impact of our research, and promote interdisciplinary and inclusive approaches to economic inquiry.
Together, we strive to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment in the Department of Economics at Georgetown University.